Wednesday, March 9, 2011

40 LONG Days






Create in me a pure heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Pslam 51:10


I’ve never given up anything for Lent before. I’ve thought about it. Wanted to. But in the end, I didn’t do it. I was always able to come up with a reason NOT to. It was usually like, “God doesn’t want me to be without (whatever)! I’ve used this space to vent frustrations about like and wanting to make a change, so now I’m finally going to do something about it! I’m giving up my beloved Diet Pepsi for Lent. My thinking is that perhaps if I give up something I love A LOT, I’ll be better aware of what God is trying to show me. OK so let’s get to it!  It's like clearing the clutter.  I'm making room.


The other day I re-watched a part of “Wayne’s World.” I always thought Garth’s character was wise beyond his years. Garth says at one point “At first they’re constricting, but after a while they become a part of you”. He was referring to tightie whities, but I think the same can be said about bad habits and vices. Initially we may feel bogged down or even enslaved to whatever it is that keeps us from being our best self, but after a while we get used to it, and it just becomes a part of who we are. One of my many MANY vices is Diet Pepsi, or Diet Coke in a pinch. For me it’s like manna from heaven – nectar from the gods.

Although they are calorie free, I keep reading that the sodium, caramel coloring and caffeine in these drinks causes every type of cancer known to man. Even if they’re artificially sweetened, this leads to a preference for all things sweet. Thus the choice for Diet Pepsi.

This morning, armed with Diet Green Tea and Diet Ginger Ale, I attempt to start the day. Husband is making fun of me. I remind him that my reward is in heaven! Of course today he chooses to forego is usual “cup of joe” for what else – A DIET PEPSI. I’m so glad he’s on this spiritual journey with me!

The morning is the hardest time to turn down my favorite drink. But it’s 8:30 and I’ve done it and not killed or maimed anyone or said anything I would rather take back.
1 day down. 39 to go. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment