Sunday, December 12, 2010

To Donald (The 12 year old member of the adopted family for whom I bought presents)

Dear Donald,


If you are disappointed in your Christmas gifts, please accept my most profound apologies. You see, Donald, I’m not an expert on 12 year olds – yet… But I will be soon enough. Just know I did my best for you. All I knew about you was that there are 4 kids in your family and that your dad does the best he can to take care of things for your family. It was also communicated to me that you would be happy with “anything.” That broke my heart. So I didn’t want to do just “anything” for you, I wanted to do my best.

I remember coming back to school after Christmas break and wearing a new outfit I received for Christmas on the first day back. I was always so proud of my new clothes. I don’t know if this is the same for boys. I was also able to talk to my friends about the many special presents I got. I want that for you too. I want you to be able to show up to school in January walking a little taller, with a little more swagger than usual because you got great new things like so many others.

Unfortunately, I let these feelings turn into pressure to get you “the perfect” gifts. I decided to shop for you at Kohl’s because I’m not aware of anything grossly uncool and embarrassing about this store. Again I want to you to be proud and happy in your new clothes. Most of the things for young men your size were decidedly urban looking. It was at that moment I convinced myself that you have more rural or cowboy leanings. I went back and forth for the better part of an hour trying to pick out things that are as great as you would want them to be. My selections are somewhere stylistically somewhere between “skater” and “cowboy.” But honestly I just hope they are 100% “Donald.”

For something fun, you said you wanted “Dragonboy 2.” Again, I extend my deepest apologies if I got the wrong thing. You see, I have no idea what that is. If you had wanted anything having to do with Toy Story or Super Mario, I would have been completely in my element. But “Dragonboy 2” – not so much. At the store, I asked the sales associate who was old enough to be my father what this was. And, much to my surprise, he knew! I balked at the price of this DVD set initially, but I bought it for you. I’m glad I did.

I didn’t get to wrap your presents, which is my favorite thing to do. I would have wrapped each item separately in a box. No gift bags here. I think that’s cheating and not fun for young people.  Hopefully your presents will get wrapped.

I’m sorry times are hard for your family. I truly am. I know your dad would probably rather sell his own soul than have to rely upon others to give you Christmas presents. I hope next year is better for your family.

Please accept the gifts with the love even if they are not the right selections. Because not only is love included in the presents, a gift receipt is included as well. I hear your dad would be willing to exchange them.

Yes, I bought you socks. Although my expertise is not with 12 year olds, I do know a thing or two about boys in general. That thing is that you need socks. Try not to blacken them too much the first time you wear them.

Merry Christmas!

Love, Anne

1 comment:

  1. Love Love Love this! Hope Donald likes his gifts. I'm so glad to call you a friend.

    ReplyDelete